Back to the Field


"God is in the résumé-building business. He is always using past experiences to prepare us for future opportunities." Mark Batterson

Recently I have gotten into the really bad habit of checking my e-mail as soon as I wake up.  This is probably due to the fact that soon after being accepted to the Togo program I realized that because of the time difference e-mails from Togo would arrive in the middle of the night.  Anyhow, a few Wednesdays ago I awoke to an e-mail that made my jaw drop.  One of the in country managers for the program I am going on had sent me an e-mail asking if I would feel comfortable working with a group of male teenage soccer goalkeepers in the city.  (Would I ever!)  I love working with inner-city males and I love coaching.

Of course I wanted to reply “YES” right away, but I knew I needed to give myself time to pray and think before replying.  That day as I sat there thinking about the opportunity it became very clear that God had been preparing me for an opportunity like this for a long time. 

Until the 1999 Women’s World Cup sparked girls’ interest in soccer I played on all male teams.  When I began playing on the all female team I became interested in goalkeeping.  I was blessed to have the same goalkeeping coach for six years.  Using subjects such as math, physics, and psychology he taught me the technical and tactical aspects of being a goalkeeper.  At 13 I began to help him coach the younger goalkeeper’s practice and at 16 I took the courses to get my “E” License.  I started recording every single goalkeeping practice I was a part of either as a player or a coach.  In college, after becoming tired of seeing the corruption that existed in many of the soccer programs I was a part of, I very deliberately stepped completely away from the sport. 

Each of these experiences prepared me for this opportunity.  My coach taught me the technical and tactical knowledge necessary to coach.  The “E” License gave me the ethos to get the position.  I have an entire semester of coaching plans from my detailed notes.  And most importantly the 3 years away allowed me to be led to solid ground and to begin the healing process.

“As for everyone who comes to me and hears my words and puts them into practice, I will show you what they are like. They are like a man building a house, who dug down deep and laid the foundation on rock. When a flood came, the torrent struck that house but could not shake it, because it was well built. But the one who hears my words and does not put them into practice is like a man who built a house on the ground without a foundation. The moment the torrent struck that house, it collapsed and its destruction was complete.”
Luke 6:47-49

I have no idea what awaits me on that field.  There are times I find myself wondering how they feel about Americans, females, or tactical skills.  Then I remember that is not what matters.  What matters is that my eternal coach has called me back to the field...a solid playing ground. 

1 comment:

  1. This is AWESOME!!! Seriously amazing how God put that one together. I especially like the last paragraph... got some of that going on myself with hockey and school :)

    ReplyDelete